Vape juice flavours have been attacked consistently in the USA and Europe, but a new study has reaffirmed the importance of flavouring when attempting to make the switch from smoking to vaping.
Highlighted is the primary drive for smokers is the flavours of the juice, restricting the choice of e-liquid to few or no flavours will discourage smokers from switching.
Independent researchers published the paper that shone a light on vapers preferring flavours of e-liquid other than tobacco.
Vape juice flavour study
‘How does the use of flavoured nicotine vaping products relate to progression towards quitting smoking?’ is the name of the study that has focussed on the importance of a choice of flavour in e-liquid, conducted by Nicotine and Tobacco Research which includes a team with Ann Mcneill.
Ann Mcneill is the lead author of Public Health Englands evidence update, Vaping in England. This report for PHE found that:
- More than 50,000 smokers (estimated) stopped smoking with the aid of a vaping product who would otherwise have carried on smoking
- Nicotine vaping products were the most popular aid (27.2%) used by smokers trying to quit in England in 2020.
- 38% of smokers in 2020 believed that vaping is as harmful as smoking.
- 15% believed that vaping is more harmful.
- Using a vaping product as part of a quit attempt in local stop smoking services had some of the highest quit success rates – between 59.7% and 74% in 2019 and 2020
Smokers prefer sweet flavours
Published in February 2021, the study used a pool of 886 smokers and vapers, they monitored their success in quitting smoking by using just tobacco flavours or a range of different flavours including fruit and menthol.
“Compared to users of tobacco flavours, those vaping “sweet” flavours were more likely to quit smoking…”
These results speak for themselves and confirm something that as a company we already knew. They finish by saying that any jurisdiction considering banning flavoured e-liquid should ‘consider how such policies may impact smokers…’.
As we continue the battle to silence misinformation, studies like this are important. But they still do not reach enough people, those who still believe that vaping is as dangerous as smoking thanks to anti-vaping news headlines. So share this message to anyone who might still be on the fence.