Learn about vape pods
A Vape pod is a great option for smokers who want to make the switch from traditional cigarettes to vape kits, or a regular vaper who wants a nice and simple second device. They are easy to use straight out of the box, and are perfect for vaping higher nicotine strengths and nic salts.
There are different types of vape pods available, and as with everything there are pros and cons to this style of vaping. Is a vape pod the right fit for you? Let’s find out…
Types of vape pod
There are different types of vape pod, and they all consist of a battery with a ‘pod’ on the top. The pod is where the core differences are found.
What is a ‘pre-filled’ or ‘closed’ vape pod?
With this type of vape pod the cartridge is already filled with e-liquid. You cannot refill the pod with e-liquid and the atomiser head inside the pod is not replaceable. This means that when the e-liquid in the pod is empty or the atomiser head stops working (whichever comes first) the cartridge needs replacing.
This type of vape pod is extremely low maintenance; they are essentially plug and play. There are no refills or atomizer head changes, meaning this is great for smokers who are first transitioning to vaping as it’s very easy to incorporate this type of pod into your daily routine.
The Totally Wicked byte is a great example of a pre-filled closed system vape pod
What is an ‘open’ vape pod?
Open vape pods usually keep to the same overall style of a closed system pod device. They tend to have little to no settings to adjust and are still easy to maintain. The pods are manually refilled with e-liquid when you run out, and you can change the atomizer head when required.
This type of vape pod is perfect for someone who wants a bit more freedom in their vaping experience. Or as a second device for a vaper when they are out and about.
If you are looking for a great open vape pod, try the Totally Wicked Skope Q
In some open pods, the atomizer head cannot be removed, but the pod can be refilled with e-liquid. A great option for many vapers, this style of vape pod offers freedom of choice with your e-liquid. But there is less maintenance as there is no need for the changing of atomizer heads.
A great middle ground is the Totally Wicked AIO pod. You can refill this lovely little piece of kit with your favourite e-liquid and just replace the pod when the atomizer head needs replacing.
Vape pods and nic salts
Nicotine salt e-liquids are a really popular option for use in vape pods. Nicotine salts let vapers use a higher nicotine strength without any harsh throat hit. This means they provide a really smooth vaping experience. Due to the of the lack of throat hit, the type of vape kit recommended for nicotine salts is something with a low power output that is a mouth to lung (MTL) vape.
Vape pods are ideal for nic salts for this reason. Traditional vape pods tend to have no settings to adjust. They will be much lower power with higher resistance atomizer heads.
Pros and cons of a vape pod
Pros of pods
- Easy to use – Vape pods themselves are extremely simple to use and maintain.
- Lower initial cost – Vape pods, especially closed systems, tend to have a lower initial cost than standard e-cigarettes.
- Close to the sensation of smoking – Vape pods tend to have a very specific sensation when vaping one. This is a restricted draw that is very close to the sensation of smoking.
- Disreet – You don’t have to have huge clouds of vapour to get satisfaction from your device. Depending on the vape pod you choose, you can get a really discreet vape that is ideal for all day use.
- Compact – Vape pods tend to be smaller in size than regular e-cigarettes. This means that you aren’t carrying anything you might class as bulky or cumbersome with you all day. They will easily fit into a bag or pocket.
Cons of pods
- Less battery life – Being compact means there has to be a compromise. Vape pods usually have a smaller battery than regular vape kits.
- Less choice – If you choose a pre-filled, or closed vape pod, the choice of e-liquid flavour and nicotine strength will be more limited than an open tank device.
- Less cost effective in the long term – While the initial cost of buying a vape pod is usually cheaper, keeping a pre-filled pod running will be more expensive in the long run. It is much more cost effective to use an open system that can be refilled.
Should you get a pod kit?
Vape pods are great if you want a compact, discreet vape kit that is ideal for taking out and about with you. The vaping experience is extremely close to the sensation of smoking. This means they are a solid first step into the world of vaping for smokers.
There is usually less financial commitment when you start as the initial cost is lower than a regular vape kit. They give you the chance to really understand which style of vaping suits your needs.