Even if you haven't tried a Crystal Bar, I'm pretty sure you'll already be familiar with the brand. Afterall, there's no mistaking the unique design of the SKE Crystal Bar.
These disposables certainly appear to be different from the Elf Bars and Lost Marys of the vaping world, but what is it exactly that sets them apart from other popular devices?
Join me on an extensive exploration of the wonderful world of Crystal Bar vapes.
In this ultimate guide to SKE Crystal Bars we'll be delving into everything Crystal Bar, including:
- Who are SKE?
- What types of Crystal Bar are available?
- Crystal Bar's design
- What's in a Crystal Bar?
- Top ten best-selling Crystal Bar flavours
- What's the purpose of Crystal Bars and other disposables?
- Is a Crystal Bar the right vape for me?
- Tips for getting the best out of your Crystal Bar
- How do Crystal Bar vapes compare to Elf Bar?
- How to spot a fake Crystal Bar
- Are SKE disposables dangerous?
- How much are Crystal Bars?
- Disposing of Crystal vapes responsibly
Who Are SKE?
Crystal Bars are manufactured by a company called Shenzhen Yinghe Technology Co. which is based in China. SKE also have a base in Manchester, UK.
I took a little jaunt over to Skevape.com to find out more about this famous brand and discovered:
"SKE is the abbreviation of Speed Skier Extreme...The e-cigarette brand SKE was born in a sea of ice and snow, like a pathfinder full of adventurous spirit and pioneering character."
Who would have guessed the meaning behind the name? Not me, that's for sure.
What Types of Crystal Bar Vapes Are Available?
We stock the popular SKE Crystal Bar, but there are several other designs available[i]. However, many of the other SKE vapes aren't permitted in the UK as they exceed the legal 2ml e-liquid limit. Yet, as this is the ultimate guide to SKE Crystal , I feel it's only fair to share with you the other types of vapes SKE have created:
- Crystal Original -disposable
- Crystal S5000 -disposable
- Crystal DUO - rechargeable vape
- Strip Bar - disposable
- ICON Bar – disposable
- Crystal Super Max – disposable
- Crystal Plus - prefilled pod vape kit
Crystal Bar's Design
Well, there's something a little bit posh-looking about a Crystal Vape Bar, isn't there? With its transparent mouthpiece and base providing the bookends to a vibrant cylindrical vape body. They certainly do have that "bejewelled" look about them, which I presume is the intention, what with them being called Crystal Bars...
The design dares to differ from many other disposables that are more often than not encased in a block of colour. This eye-catching difference in vape design definitely makes you take a second look. But is it actually the exterior that holds the appeal, or is it, to quote a popular phrase, what's on the inside that counts? Well, of course it is- it's all very well looking good, but that's hardly what makes these disposables so popular. And popular they are. In fact, SKE bars are the third biggest seller of vapes in the UK, with over 30 million sold in the past year alone.[ii]
So what's in Crystal Bars that makes them such a popular vape?
What's in a Crystal Bar?
Stainless steel and PCTG casing
Although this doesn't fall into the category of what's in a Crystal Bar, it may interest you to know what the outside is made of. The exterior is created using stainless steel and a - wait for it - Poly Cyclohexylenedimethylene Terephthalate glycol-modified material. In layman's terms, this humungous collection of letters translates to, a clear co-polyester plastic. This type of plastic is strong yet still highly transparent.
2ml nicotine salt vape juice
Each Crystal vape contains 2ml of flavoured nic salt e-liquid. These types of vape juice allow for a smooth throat hit and deliver nicotine quickly and effectively. Genuine disposables are only permitted to contain 2ml of e-liquid at a maximum of 2% (20mg) nicotine strength.
A Crystal Bar disposable vape includes a pre-charged 500mAh battery. Depending on how you vape, the device can last all day, or up to 600 puffs.
1.2ohn mesh coil
Now, you may well have heard about the wonders of mesh coils and how they can change your vaping experience. Coils are an essential part of any vape as they serve to heat and vapourise the e-liquid. Traditional coils are usually created using a helix of wire. Mesh coils on the other hand are net-like in appearance. This type of coil is designed to maximise the surface area of metal that comes into contact with the vape's wicking material. You may question the point of this alternative design. The result of such a different design is a more consistent flavour and all-round better vaping experience.
Speaking of flavours....
Top Ten Selling Crystal Bar Flavours
We've over 40 Crystal Bar flavours, including some popular flavours such as Tiger Blood, Blue Fusion, and Fire Brew Crystal Bar. So, how on Earth are you supposed to know which one's the best? Perhaps a look at our top ten bestselling SKE flavours could give you an inkling.[iii]
10. Our tenth bestselling flavour to date is Strawberry Blast. As the name not so subtly suggests, you'll get the flavour of strawberry vape juice, and you'll also experience an icy menthol finish.
9. Blueberry Raspberries Crystal Bar sits at number nine in our list of best Crystal Bar flavours. This vape offers a blend of berry flavours.
8. The very nice Cherry Ice resides comfortably at number eight.
7. Energy drink flavour fans have made sure the Vimbull Ice Crystal vape makes the top ten Crystal Bar flavours list.
6. Crikey! Number seven is a mouthful (figuratively, not literally obviously). Watermelon Strawberry is making its way up the list, so this particular blend of vape flavours must be a hit.
5. Showing that sometimes you prefer the simple flavours, Berry Ice is among the top 5 Crystal Bar vape flavours.
4. Watermelon Ice swoops in to take fourth place.
Top 3 best-selling Crystal Bars
Drum roll please as we edge closer to the number one slot and take a look at the top three Crystal vapes.
3. Third on our list of best-selling Crystal flavours is Blue Razz Lemonade - a blend of blueberry, raspberry, and lemonade vape juice flavours.
2. Does the Blueberry Sour Raspberry Crystal Bar tickle your fancy? Then you could well be partially responsible for this flavour making it all the way to the number two spot in our best-selling flavours list.
1. Citrus for the win! Leaving all those berry, energy drink, and watermelon flavoured vapes behind is the number one best-selling SKE Bar flavour - Lemon & Lime.
What's the Purpose of Crystal Bars and Other Disposables?
Vapes of any kind should only be used by adults over the age of 18 as a less harmful alternative to smoking. I view the purpose of SKE Bars, and any other vape, as a way to get the same nicotine as from smoking, but without the lethal cocktail of chemicals that tobacco smoke contains. If the design and flavour of Crystal can help you step away from the harmful habit that is smoking and to know you never need to smoke again, it has to be a positive, right?
Is a Crystal Bar Vape Right For Me?
SKE Crystal sold over 30 million vapes in the last year alone, so they must be doing something right. But what is it exactly that makes these disposables so popular and does this popularity translate into Crystal Bars being the right vape for you?
The design could certainly be a factor in the vape's popularity. It's sleek, pocket-sized, and eye-catchingly different from many other styles of disposables.
Crystal Bars are known for not only the extensive range of flavours they provide but also the intensity of these flavours. Vapers enjoy the sweet-tasting collection and the way the flavours can be so intense, lasting consistently to the very end.
As I touched on before, the mesh coil helps to deliver a more intense and satisfying vaping experience. Knowing that you'll be able to enjoy your chosen flavour consistently without it deteriorating near the end of the vape's use may well be what draws vapers to this brand of disposable.
A convenient vape
In addition to its design, flavours, and overall vaping experience, a Crystal Bar could be the right starter vape. Why? Disposables provide a very simple way to switch from smoking to vaping and can help as you transition. It may even be a case of using SKE Bars initially then switching to a more sustainable vape kit.
A back-up vape
If you're looking for a secondary device, a Crystal Bar disposable could prove a convenient back-up alongside your primary vape kit. You may want a small vape to take out and about or to pick up when you've left your more substantial kit at home.
Tips For Getting the Most Out of Your SKE Crystal Bar
I've compiled some useful tips to make sure you'll get the best out of your Crystal Bar.
- Always buy Crystal Bars and any other vapes from a reputable vendor. Avoid mistakenly buying fake vapes, faulty vapes, or illegal devices by always purchasing vapes and e-liquids from stores and online vendors you know you can trust. Genuine Crystal Bars are compliant with Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) regulations, as are all the vapes we sell. The TPD regulations ensure vaping products are compliant with specific safety and quality standards.
- Store your disposable at room temperature. Extreme temperatures may affect the efficacy of the battery, including the battery life. You can read more about battery safety and vapes in my article, Vape Battery Safety Warnings.
- Use your device within the time frame indicated on the packet. This is because both the battery and e-liquids in Crystal Bars can diminish over time so make sure you check the use by date on the vape packaging.
- Don't attempt to modify or take apart the vape. Disposables are single-use and aren't designed to be dismantled by customers. Unlike other types of vape kits, you can't refill disposables with a different e-liquid, nor change the battery. If you want a vape kit that comprises a separate battery and refillable or prefilled pod, we've plenty of other types of vapes to choose from.
How Do Crystal Bars Compare to Elf Bar?
You may be wondering how Crystal Bars compare to one of their main competitors, Elf Bar. Well, wonder no more, because I've made a nifty little table so you can access at-a-glance information about the similarities and differences between the original 600 and new Elf Bars, and Crystal Bars.
|SKE Crystal Bar||Elf Bar 600||Elf Bar 600 V2|
|Main body material||PCTG||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Puffs per vape||Up to 600 puffs||Up to 600 puffs||Up to 600 puffs|
|Coil||1.2ohm mesh||1.4ohm nickel-chrome||QUAQ mesh coil|
|Nicotine Type||Nic Salt||Nic Salt||Nic Salt|
|Nicotine Strengths||2%||0%, 1%, 2%***||2%|
How Can I Spot a Fake Crystal Vape?
There are a few ways you can tell if the Crystal Bar you've bought is genuine or not. Your first clue may well be where you got it. Did you buy it from a reputable shop or are you unsure about its origins? If you didn't buy the vape yourself or don't know where it came from, you will want to be wary.
Fake vapes may also be crudely made. This can lead to faults such as vapourised nic salt being trapped within the casing causing it to appear foggy. You could also hear peculiar sounds coming from a fake vape, such as clicking. Another tell tale sign of an illegal vape is the taste. They can have a higher amount of nicotine than legally permitted or flavours that just taste wrong.
The Official SKE Bar site has more ways you can verify the authenticity of a Crystal Bar vape:
- Scratch off the panel on the side of the packaging to reveal a code. Scan or input the anti-counterfeit QR code to verify the device.
- Check the packaging - the fake SKE Crystal Bar packs differ from the authentic vapes and the font may appear to be different also.
You can find more ways to spot a fake SKE Bar on the official SKE Vape website.
Are SKE Disposables Dangerous?
Vaping devices, including genuine SKE Bars, bought from reputable vendors that adhere to TPD regulations have to meet stringent safety guidelines.
You may be wary of vapes in general because of misinformation you've read or heard about in the media - or even from people you know.
It's hard to ignore the fact that vaping attracts so much bad press. It's a shame, because that misinformation could actually prevent people from giving up smoking because they believe the myths that are being perpetuated around vaping. However, the NHS has recently set about dispelling common misconceptions about vaping The site separates the facts from the fiction with statements such as
" Although nicotine is addictive, it is relatively harmless to health"
"Nicotine vaping is not risk-free, but it is substantially less harmful than smoking."
You can find out more by visiting Vaping Myths and the Facts on the NHS website.
How Much are Crystal Bars?
Our SKE Bars are available at £4.99 each. You can also get them for just £4 each as part of our Mix & Match offer. If you buy Crystal Bars as part of a subscription, each disposable will cost just £3.75
Disposing of Crystal Bars Responsibly
As disposables contain batteries, they can't be thrown out with domestic waste. You need to dispose of them safely. Furthermore, vapes are also made up of components that can be recycled. At Totally Wicked, we take our environmental responsibilities very seriously. This is why we offer a "pop-in to drop-in" recycling scheme at our Totally Wicked stores. Here, you can drop off your disposable and refillable vape kits to be recycled.
[iii] Based on Totally Wicked's online sales and the top ten selling SKE Crystal Bar flavours from December 2022 to 19th October 2023
* 41 Crystal Bar flavours are available at Totally Wicked
**There are 34 flavours currently available in the UK for the Elf Bar 600 2%. Figures for the total numbers of flavours available in the UK for 0% and 1% varieties are currently unavailable.
*** Totally Wicked only Stocks the 2% nicotine strength Elf Bar 600