How to Refill an E-cigarette - A Guide for First Timers
Getting your first e-cig means one thing, lots of information to take in. But vaping is simple once you have got to grips with the basics and you realise that all e-cigs work in a really similar way, they just look different.
Refilling a Closed pod system
If you have what is known as a closed pod system, this means that the pods for your kit already come filled with e-liquid. These kits aren’t designed to be refilled with e-liquid.
Once the e-liquid has ran out you throw the pod away and install a new one. This means that the pods themselves don’t have the function to refill the e-liquid. While you might be tempted to try and find a way yourself, you might be successful, but this usually damages the integrity of the pod and can lead to leaking.
How to refill a vape pod
Open pod systems can be refilled with e-liquid and depending on the type, these are some of the easiest to maintain daily
Refill a vape pod step by step:
- Remove the pod from the vape battery
- Find the rubber bung that covers the fill port
- Lift up this rubber bung to show the filling hole
- Place the nozzle of your e-liquid bottle into the hole
- Tilt the vape pod at a slight angle to prevent air pockets
- Slowly fill the pod with e-liquid
- Leave a small air bubble at the top of the pod
- Seal the fill hole with the rubber bung
- Wipe away any excess e-liquid from the rubber bung and surrounding area
- Replace the pod onto the battery
This is how you will refill most vape pods, but there can be exceptions. Some don’t need to be removed from the battery and their refill hole is at the top of the pod, others might have a twist or slide mechanism rather than a rubber bung. The same method can be followed with a few tweaks to suit your vape pod kit.
How to refill a vape tank
Vape tanks are different to pods, as they tend to have different methods of refilling. There can be top or bottom filling tanks and the clue is in the name. Let’s look at these individually.
Bottom fill vape tank
These types of vape tanks fill from the bottom of the tank and need taking off your e-cig before they can have e-liquid added to them.
Some can be filled while they still have e-liquid in them, others might have a limit where if you unscrew the base of the tank you might lose some vape juice. So, keep this in mind and try and get your e-liquid as low as possible before refilling if this applies to you.
Refilling a bottom fill vape tank step by step:
- Unscrew the tank from the e-cig battery
- Unscrew the base off the tank
- Put the nozzle of your e-liquid bottle into the fill hole, to the side of the tank
- Avoid the centre chimney, do not put e-liquid down the centre hole
- Tilt the tank slightly at an angle to avoid air pockets
- Slowly squeeze your bottle of juice and fill the tank
- Leave an air bubble at the top, assure no e-liquid spills down the centre chimney
- Replace the base of your tank and ensure it is screwed on tightly with hands only
- Wipe away any excess e-liquid from around the base of the tank
- Replace the tank onto your e-cig battery
Once you have removed the base of your bottom filling tank there are usually three holes. The two at either side are e-liquid filling ports, the centre hole is known as the ‘chimney’ and this isn’t where e-liquid goes. If you pour e-liquid down this chimney it isn’t the end of the world, but the e-liquid will just run out of the tank through the mouthpiece.
Top fill vape tank
Top filling vape tanks have grown in popularity over the past few years and thanks to their easy filling method a lot of vapers like them.
They can have either a sliding top, a twist or a screw off top, with everything in between, but their main take away is that you don’t need to remove the tank from your e-cig to fill it.
Refilling a top fill vape tank step by step:
- Screw off the top of your tank (Twist or slide top depending on the tank)
- Find the e-liquid fill hole
- Place the tip of the e-liquid bottle into the fill hole
- Slightly tilt the vape tank at an angle to stop air pockets
- Slowly squeeze the bottle and fill the tank
- Leave an air bubble at the top
- Screw the top of the tank back on (or slide / twist it back into place)
- Wipe any excess e-liquid
There is no need to worry about the centre chimney with a top filling tank as this isn’t accessible from the top. Some top filling tanks will have a rubber seal that covers the fill hole to restrict the amount of air that is introduced to the tank. If yours has this, you will be able to push the tip of your e-liquid bottle through this seal to fill it with e-liquid.
This was a step by step guide to e-cigarette liquid refill for beginners. If you need any help don’t hesitate to contact us. Remember the instruction manual for your vape kit should have its own breakdown for the specific kit, so ensure you read these.